Monday, March 29, 2010

Goals


First let me state the obvious, we all must set goals. This is not just about weight loss, this is about life. How can you gauge your progress if you don't know what it is you are trying to accomplish? If my goal was to drive to New York within one week but after three days I was only to Reno I would know I was not effectively attaining my goal.


Set Goals that require effort but are obtainable. If I set a weight loss goal of losing 5 pounds over two months I would be successful but I would cheat myself of any feeling of accomplishment. I could lose 5 pounds in the first week. Conversely if I said I want to lose 20 pounds in one month I will fail. There is no healthy way to lose that much weight in so little time. I have set a goal of losing 20 pounds by the 4Th of July. That works out to 7 pounds the first week and then a pound a week for 13 weeks. A pound of fat would take a reduction of 500 calories per day. This will require effort but should be possible without great discomfort.



REWARDS. When you achieve your goals you should reward yourself. I know people that want to celebrate a successful weight loss program by treating themselves to a piece of cheesecake. That's fine but not that productive. You are still food centric. When losing weight you will look better. I would suggest rewarding yourself with some nice new clothes or a new hair style. Something that builds on the positive results you are achieving.




Enjoy yourself. In addition to caloric reduction you need to burn more calories. Make the activity enjoyable. Yesterday I walked to Lake Cunningham on a beautiful spring afternoon. The journey was its own reward. Eat food you like in a common sense way. Last night for dinner I had a little salmon teriyaki. I find it delicious but made sure I had an appropriately sized portion. Losing the weight is not a punishment and its not torture. Its beneficial and can feel good.


This is NOT a Diet. I want to loose weight for health, appearance, and improve my self-image but the new levels of activity and healthier meals are not temporary, they represent a lifestyle change. Its not a period of self-denial that I can't wait to end, its a new way to live. A healthier way to live longer and better

1 comment:

  1. Excellent advice. So much of this is true when setting goals for everything in your life. Weight loss is a tough one for a lot of people but with the right mindset and realistic goals anyone can do it. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete